Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Hurricane Harvey Day 6 update:  Thank you so much to all my friends who have reached out from all over the world to check on us.  I decided to post some information here so you can all see how we are fairing and also to let you know how you can get involved to help.

We live in a neighborhood in Houston called Montrose.  The Trose has weathered this storm really well.  I only know of a few neighbors who have had damage.  Water filled up our back yard and got into the garage, but not deep enough to damage the cars.  Our apartment is on the second floor and so we were never really worried that the water would come in here.  Our Russian/Indian neighbors downstairs have been hanging out with us and they knew they could come up if it got too bad downstairs.  That didn't happen so we are happy to report no damages from our house. 

The house in Galveston still has a leaking roof from some damage a year ago, so buckets were set up to catch the water.  Tidal surge and flooding waters stopped in the yard so there will be no major cleanup at that house either.

The kids have been here with me throughout the storm and we have entertained friends here most days.  Cooking, yoga, playing music, playing games and general camaraderie have filled the last 6 days. 

Now that the rains have moved off to the east, we are left with the feeling that we need to take action.  We have researched our options for helping out those who are suffering.  Tomorrow we will show up at the NRG stadium to volunteer even though their website is less than clear about how many volunteers they need and when.  We signed up to become Red Cross volunteers and hope to receive some shifts from them as soon as background checks are completed. 

We are active volunteers for the Houston Food Bank and have signed up for some shifts there as well.  They will need extra volunteers for the next few months.  Please consider signing up for a shift here:   https://houstonfoodbank.civicore.com/index.php?section=volOpportunities&action=calendar

If you are not in the area, this is a great place to make a donation that will help local families.

We have plenty of food and water and the HEB in Montrose opened for a few hours yesterday.

The kids' schools are closed indefinitely.  Because I work closely with schools in this area, I am also not able to work much until schools reopen.  Thankfully, my company will continue to pay me and not require me to use vacation days.  At least as of right now.  We are incredibly lucky and will spend as much time helping our fellow Houstonians as possible.  I have informed Pondicheri (my secondary employer) that I am available if they need me.  I also told my friend Dan Fergus (owner of Cafe Brasil) that I would love to help out if he needs me.  It is so inspiring to be out with fellow Montrosians.  Everyone is so motivated to help right now. 

Today we got out and drove around our neighborhoods to see what we could see.  Highways are starting to clear, there is a lot of debris on the roads where they were submerged and we couldn't see any damage on Lanier Middle School or The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts where Robin and Cypress will attend.  Buffalo Bayou is still really high and I am sad for the parks we have enjoyed along its banks.  Also, friends who live along the bayou will have to relocate since their homes were completely inundated. 

We feel really lucky because so many people have so much work and stress in front of them.  We know how they feel and cry along with them as they begin the grueling process of rebuilding.  Ike did the same thing to us and I feel like I can be a support for those going through it now.  We will be helping friends tear down and rebuild.  If you have time to come to Houston to help anytime, you always have a place to stay with us. 

Thank you for all your thoughts, prayers, positive vibes and concern.  I will keep this updated in the coming days and weeks.  Love, Shauny

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting about your status. We have been thinking and concerned about you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are Ok Shauny. Always ready to help whoever needs it. Love you .

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you on this.