Sunday, June 3, 2018

Summer Plans 2018

Every year in June, when the kids go back to Jamie full time, I come into a period of mourning.  The cavernous house yawns and tells me to get out.  The last two summers I have spent in chaos, narrowly surviving until August when the kids come back and we can resume normal operating procedures.  I know I have not made the best choices for myself .  I have taken lovers who I knew were not right.  I have drunk copious amounts of beer.  I have eaten crap for days because of stress and hangovers.  I have not meditated or exercised for months at a stretch.  I have shirked work duties.  I have left dishes dirty and laundry unwashed for weeks.  I have stayed out all night on a work night.  You get the picture.  There is much to be not proud of over the last two summers.  I'm not ashamed of my failures, because I love them.  They were necessary for me to gain the insight I have now.  And I am turning over a new leaf folks. This summer is going to be different.  I started a 30 day challenge and I intend to succeed.  My challenge consists of a commitment to yoga and writing, no fried foods and no alcohol.  I started on May 26, the day after my big potluck/bonfire.  I am feeling stronger this year.  I know my friend Andre LeBon has something to do with this.  His support has been fantastic.  But there is also something personally different for me this summer.  I am surer about my decisions.  I have a clearer vision of myself and what I want to bring to the world.  I have taken several steps toward making sure I take better care of myself this summer.  1.  I joined the Montrose Yoga Co Op.  I do yoga with Adrienne from youtube, but I feel that getting out to the studio sometimes will help me connect with other like minded people.  I have not been disappointed.  The singing bowls yoga sessions there are soothing in a major way.  My body has always run high and those bowls tune into me and bring me to a middle ground.  Being enveloped in that sound stops my monkey brain and flattens me out so I feel a part of the whole of the universe.  Now if I can just convince Sumil to come to my house and keep one singing all night so I actually get some rest!  2.  I joined Elephant Journal's writing academy.  I have been a closet writer all my life and recently have been reading some of my writing at Cronopios Houston.   Gracias por todo su apoyo, Amigos! I have also been playing my songs at some open mic nights.   I submitted a song to a country songwriter's contest this year for the first time!  Here is my submission.  I didn't get accepted, but it felt good to step out of my box and do something adventurous!  So I have started writing every day to get myself prepped for the academy.  It starts this Wednesday June 6 and runs for 8 weeks.  The goal of the writing academy is to hone my writing abilities so I can begin to work entirely remotely.  The time in the van this year proved to me that travel and non-ownership of things is my happy place.  I would like to start doing part time copywriting now and transition slowly to full time as my kids grow.  Once Cypress is out of high school I plan to be completely self sufficient and able to work from anywhere.  3.  I booked alot of travel in July.  I will start with a visit to Andre in Montreal.  We both have to work, so it will not be a ton of movement, but any day with him is an adventure.  Then I will fly through Houston to Provo, Utah for a work conference.  Kids will fly to Provo after my conference and we will do a 10 day road trip through Yellowstone to stay with Cherie in San Francisco.  Planning the trip is keeping me settled and sane.  We will stay with couchsurfing friends in Idaho and we will meet my friend Paulo in Yellowstone to hike with him and his brothers.  Once I get back at the end of July, work will be a frenzy of back to school trainings.  My boss said no time off until November.  So that means 3 months of grindstone await me.  I will be prepped!  So I am starting this summer off with a bang.  I stayed home alone on Friday and Saturday nights this weekend for the first time in 3 years.  I am turning my attention inward for now.  I have made some amazing friends over these 3 years and I am gathering all of your support and energy to move me toward my dreams. Thank all of you wonderful people for your continued support!  I love you!

2 comments:

  1. sounds just cool. ) do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you are familiar with "No mud, no lotus" This may be your lotus summer!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you on this.