Monday, November 14, 2011

Media literacy teaches students the impact of propaganda

" Former New York Times movie critic and center board president Janet Maslin believes young people "don't often understand the choices that are made with each shot, the propaganda value, the subliminal value. If we do nothing else here, we're going to teach kids how to see more deeply into that and how to be able to speak for themselves in the same kind of language.""

In 2005, Ken Ellis stated these words in his article on visual acuity. I was interested to read the article for two reasons. The first reason is that I wasn't sure what was meant by visual acuity in the title of the article. I want to learn as much vocabulary of the video industry as possible, since when I took the practice test for the TechApps Certification online, the questions I missed all had to do with video. The other reason is that the title of the article mentions consumers. I have a pet peeve and that is commercials. I have tried to teach my children the value of being objective when viewing a commercial. My children say, "They think we need a Lexus." or "Hey, we don't need one of those!" as they watch the images float by on the television. I am a minimalist and I think that as a world we have to start reducing the amount of "needs" we have so that everyone on the planet can have a comfortable existence.

Mr. Ellis gave me great hope for our future when he talked about the programs that are teaching students to become aware of the impact media has on their emotions through the use of subliminal messages and propaganda techniques.

Ellis, K. (2005). Visual acuity: From consumers to critics and creators. Edutopia. RetrievedNovember 14, 2011, from http://www.edutopia.org/print/1321

1 comment:

  1. I also find this so poignant in regards to children and food. So many studies on this... I would love to hear more about the programs you're learning about...

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you on this.