Sunday, September 3, 2017

Harvey Recovery

Good Morning and Happy Sunday. Here in Houston we are all very busy helping each other.  I moved my friend Jen to a new apartment yesterday.  The things I noticed yesterday are that 1).  Many roads in Houston and neighborhoods are still under water.  2.) Traffic is grueling with everyone trying to move themselves and whatever they can salvage. There are huge numbers of uhauls and moving vans and garbage trucks on the limited highways. 3.) Many cars on the roads are damaged. 4.) People are being more patient and kind with each other. 5.) Bars are still closing at 11:30 to allow everyone time to get home before curfew. 6.) People don't want to go home at 11:30 so I have hosted some all night gatherings during the curfew hours. 7.) You can't buy a mattress in Houston and deliveries to stores are not getting in right now.  8.) Life is hard but we are pulling together and helping each other. 9.) Houston ISD is saying 250 of their 360 campuses are damaged.  We still don't know what that means.  10.) Houston feels raggedy.  I remember after Ike Galveston felt this way for about 3 years.  Then it began to feel fresh and renewed with all the saplings and renovations.  I know we will get to that point in Houston, too.  Patience is key. 

I have been keeping up with my yoga practice even though it is so hard to sit still.  I need to stay calm and take care of myself so I can support my city.

I need to have a serious discussion with my boss.  I feel that my job is in jeopardy because of the major damage here.  I don't think we will have any schools to serve this school year and I don't know how they can keep us all on the payroll with no money coming in from the Houston region.  I want to be proactive so I will begin applying for other jobs.  Another question I have for her is this:  I have been asked by the Red Cross to serve as a volunteer translator for their distribution trucks.  I know what these trucks do because I received their services after Ike.  I'm crying again now because when I think about my emotional state after Ike and how it disrupted my family I suddenly feel how all of these displaced families feel.  So, I want to take my vacation days for the next couple of weeks and work for the Red Cross. 

I am going to spend the day demolishing Christine and Johnny Peters' house.  I will post again later. 

Thank you to everyone who is sending love.  I feel it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you on this.