Friday, September 15, 2017

My Uncle Mark

I have been really busy working at my day job.  Schools are coming online in mass right now.  And I got a second job working at my friend's restaurant.  Stop by Cafe Brasil if you have time in the evenings.  I wanted to write about all of those experiences but life has thrown me a curve ball that I need to write about instead.

My uncle Mark Norris has been dealing with a rare intestinal cancer for about 18 months.  He has suffered through alot and he decided yesterday that it was time to call in Hospice.  I had the weekend off so I got a flight up here (NE Oklahoma) to spend some time with him and my family.  My arrival has brought other family members from all over so it is turning into a party. 

This morning it is just Mark, his dad Jack, and I in the house as I prepare for a meeting at work.  I have to start writing down the things he is saying to me because they are profound and priceless.  He is still conducting business from his lazyboy and has a truly positive attitude.  He said hospice told him they would deliver a "comfort package" to the front porch and that we should put it in the fridge when it arrives.  In a joking voice he said "I can't wait until it gets here because I want to be COMFORTABLE." 

He is smiling and joking and telling me stories of how when windows close, like in his carpentry business, other windows open and we just have to be patient.  "The ego is in a hurry, because it knows it's time is limited.  The spirit is patient because it knows it is eternal."

I will continue to keep notes here on our conversations.  I came here very sad last night.  Crying the whole plane ride and drive up here.  People on the plane were uncomfortable with my sobbing, but no one asked what was wrong or offered a shoulder.  Public displays of grief are almost unacceptable in our world. 

Here, however, I don't feel like crying.  He says he isn't going to be upset that this is what has been dealt him.  He said, "I'm gonna roll with this."  So I am getting a lesson from him. 

I hope all of you are doing exactly what you want to be doing, and if you aren't, just be patient, good things are coming your way.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear of your uncle's illness. He must be appreciative you were able to visit him. My family has been very concerned about my niece who emigrated to Dominica in August. No direct word from her or her partner, but finally confirmatuon via the grapes that they are safe. Island was very hard hit and it will probably be a long, slow process getting their Three Rivers Eco Resort back in business.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you on this.