Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Design protocol present in 1448 manuscript

On first inspection of the text and graphic attributes of the Fons memorabilium uniuersi, a Latin encyclopedia circa 1448, I noticed the presence of all design elements necessary today to bring clarity to images and text. The first thing I noticed was the CONTRAST that was provided by illuminating the first letter of important words and the margins of the pages. The REPETITION that allowed me to follow the order of the text was the use of two columns on each page. The ALIGNMENT was perfect and the scribes who worked on this text took special care to ensure that all borders were identical and that all spaces between lines were identical. The PROXIMITY of the columns to one another and the illuminated letters leads me to believe that each page has one or two articles about separate topics, even though I don’t read Latin. The four design principles that are vital to clear and concise graphic and text communications have obviously been in use through many epochs of human existence. I will abide by these longstanding rules in my own designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you on this.